2014-06-05

Sotto Voce 2: Another Success

As I've stated in a previous post, I occasionally experiment with a technique I call Sotto Voce: throwing my voice subliminally to change a person's mood or get them to do something you want.

Tonight, it was on a bus coming home. I was listening to two students - a man and a woman - a short distance behind me, discussing food. On the road home, I began whispering "Sex ... sex ... talk about sex ... you want to talk about sex ... nothing but sex ..." and kept it up, gently whispering into the air, letting the sound carry into the compartment, reflected off the front window, subliminally buried in the noises of the engine and the rattling of the bus as it encountered bumps and potholes in the road.

We weren't even a third of the way home when the male student stopped talking about food. He said "The kind of food we like to eat is always an important part of my relationships."

That was it. Something clicked. The man and the woman stopped talking about food, and began talking about the relationships they had had and were currently involved in.

Chalk up another success to Sotto Voce.

No comments:

Post a Comment